So, today is my birthday. I am 39. I am officially starting the last year in my 30's, and while some people may lament this fact, I am actually fine with it. Unlike when I turned 30 and had a crying meltdown on my bedroom floor, I am looking forward to my 40th birthday. I know it's still a year away, but the fear of that dreaded number is no longer part of my psyche.
However, I'm not going to talk about birthdays, aging, or how I feel about those things today. Instead, I'm going to talk about being happy. After the chaos of summer ending, getting the kids back into a routine, etc...... sometimes it's just nice to take a breath and remember the things that make you happy. So in honor of my birthday and being 39 today, I'm going to write a list of 39 things that make me happy (in no particular order)
1. My family (both immediate and extended)
2. Being blessed with a great singing voice that I can share with people
3. The rain
3. Sweet baby belly laughs
4. Time alone in a book store
5. Compliments from strangers
6. Inside jokes
7. Autumn....everything about it from the crisp weather, to decor, to smells, and glorious colors
8. Clean sheets
9. Black Forest cake
10. Starbucks frappucino's, and lattes, and London Fog with biscotti....so, yeah, just Starbucks!
11. Getting packages in the mail
12. Memories of my grandma
13. Stargazing.....the lunar eclipse last night was awesome!
14. Bubble baths
15. Blogging.....well, writing in general
17. Knowing that even as teenagers and young adults, my boys are still free with their hugs
18. Sweet and Salty kettle corn
19. Phone calls with mom
20. Taking off my bra at the end of the day (true story)
21. Fun nights with good friends
22. The smell of fresh baked bread or dinner buns
23. The feeling after a good run (yes, treadmill still counts)
24. Finding money (in jackets, or jeans, or in the bottom of my purse)
25. Fuzzy socks in cold weather
28. Finding that your once fitting pants are now too big (YAY)
29. Date nights with hubby
30. Movie or game nights with the boys
32. Finding, cool new music
33. Impromptu dance or karaoke parties in my living room
34. Getting a good cut and color
35. March Madness
36. Cheering on my kids accomplishments
37. The color purple (not the movie.....the actual color :p )
That was a lot easier than I thought, and I probably could have added a LOT more. I guess I live a pretty charmed life, and have much to be happy and grateful for. What a lucky girl I am.
In the monotony of daily life, chasing after happiness can seem like an endless, really big project. And sometimes, it is. But sometime...
Dear Max; We made it, Buddy! Happy 18th birthday! Do you feel any different than you did yesterday? Maybe you should. Today marks...
HEY, YOU. You are enough. That big dream you have, the one that seems far too big and bold and grand to ever really be ...
You take them both, and there you have the facts of life. :P (OK, enough reminiscing about my childhood TV habits.) Dear You, ...