Monday, June 7, 2010

For Granny

Dear Granny;

Although you've been gone for 11 years, I still think about you every day. I really miss you. Lately I seem to miss you more than usual. Perhaps it's because July 1st is drawing near, and still after all these years, the holidays don't seem the same without you.


I miss the way you closed your eyes and threw your head back when you laughed. I do that too.


I miss how you welcomed the chaos that was a house full of grandchildren. You seemed to thrive in the insanity that was our big, loud family. I miss the taste of your hot cross buns, bbq chicken and potato salad. To this day, no one makes it as good as you did.


I marvel how you cooked huge holiday dinners in that little tiny kitchen, with no counter space, no air conditioning, and for many years, no dishwasher.


I miss all your "grannyisms" like : "Good manners and a good set of clothes will take you a long way". I laughed at them all back then. But, you were truly wise, and now that you're gone, I find the memories of your advice invaluable.


I miss our drives when we would just drive around and go to the store for a Fresca and a Royale chocolate bar.


I loved how you would say, "Everyone needs to be quiet because my show is coming on!" and within five minutes of Matlock or Murder, She Wrote starting you would be sound asleep -- and snoring so loud it raised the roof.


I miss the smell of Oil of Olay and Chantilly Lace. I miss you letting us all crawl up on your big bed to watch TV.


I really hate that you died, before my two youngest children were born. I think you would adore them, although I'm sure that you met them before they came here. I also believe that you are watching over the baby that I lost. But, I really wish that my boys could have known you. I can't think of a better role-model, mentor, relative or human being than you. I am so proud to be your grand-daughter.


I know it was a gift to have you around as long as we did, but that doesn't mean I will ever stop wishing that you were still here.


Love you forever;


Erin



2 comments:

Your Mama said...

"sniff....tear..." She was quite the mama....I miss her too!

Mark and Emily said...

I miss her too. It is quite amazing to think back at how she managed to feed us all and make each of us feel special. She was incredible! It really doesn't matter how many years go by, it still feels like she left yesterday. Thanks for posting this.

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...