Friday, May 15, 2015

Kindness Is Free

*Disclaimer:  This post contains profanity.  If you don't like curse words, then don't read this post.*


So, I was walking downtown on my lunch break, because I needed to pay a bill at City Hall, and I am trying to do more walking because I'm endeavoring to make some healthier choices in my life (but that's a post for another day).


There was a group with two people in wheelchairs, two others with obvious mental disabilities, and their two helpers.  We were standing at the crosswalk waiting for the light to change.  There was also a man dressed in a business suit talking on his cell phone.  One of the guys from the first group reached out to the man in the suit.  He shook the man off while continuing to talk on his phone.  The helper tried to control and redirect the young man in her group.  He reached out to the suited man again, tugging on his jacket and made a loud noise.  The business man shook him off and called him a "crazy C word" (he said the word, but I refuse to type that one).  Shocked I said, "that was completely uncalled for".  The suited man then told me to shut up and  called me a "fat bitch".  I replied "I'd rather be a fat bitch than a freaking asshole".  The light changed and he walked away.  I walked away.  The group stayed put on the corner.




I was so angry and so upset, I was shaking.  This all happened in probably less than 30 seconds; 30 completely unnecessary seconds.  I hope that stupid suited guy falls in front of a bus.  No, I don't but...


I wasn't angry or upset by what he said to me (although that was completely uncalled for, too).  I was shocked, saddened, disgusted and infuriated that his response to this young man, that clearly faced some mental and physical challenges, was to call him a "crazy" C-bomb.  The C word.  The nastiest possible word to call someone that the English language has to offer.


Honestly, what is wrong with people?  What goes on in that guys head, or his heart, really in his life to make him such a horrible person.  He is someone's son.  He is possibly someone's friend and/or spouse. Even worse, he is possibly someone's father.  How does he treat those close in his life?  What is he teaching his children?




This is one of those experiences that I will remember for a long time.  Please remember to have empathy and compassion toward your fellowman.  Do something kind today.  Combat your personal incidents of ugliness by spreading kindness.







No comments:

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...