Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Enough with the Vampires already


Vampires. They're everywhere lately; I can't seem to turn on the TV, pick up a magazine or surf the web without being bombarded by them. The entire world seems to be under their bloody spell, and I just don't get it. Their recent resurgence in popularity started with the "Twilight" series, which everyone was (or is) completely obsessed with. It was like the Harry Potter phenomenon with a dash of blood and a heap of sexual chemistry (or so I gather). Then HBO came out with the show, "True Blood" in which vampires live among the rest of us, slurping manufactured blood. It's hard core, hard to watch television that would freak even Buffy out. I couldn't get through a single episode.

I enjoyed the TV show called "Moonlight" that was on a couple of years ago. But it wasn't really because I was excited about vampires. It's because I had a bit of a crush on the shows main character, Mick St. John (sexy Aussie actor, Alex O'Loughlin -- yummy)

But for some reason, I just can't get into these pale, perverted anemics that everyone seems to adore. The frail, fanged look just doesn't do it for me. I prefer my men with a little more meat on their bones, and I'm a bit of a stickler for good dental hygiene.

So help me out here; am I alone in wanting my heartthrobs mortal? And if you are counting down the days until the New Moon release, what's up with this fascination? I doubt I'll join you on the dark side, but I'd sure like to understand it.

5 comments:

The Samples Sampler said...

I used to think I was the only person alive not reading Twilight. I was glad to find that there are others like me out there. I deal with trends like these the way people deal with childhood phases...ignore it and wait for it to pass.

Your Mama said...

I was reading your blog and totally agree with all you said , but I didn't finish reading it cause I went to your hook up of the hot guy and yup that was the end of my reading....thanks for the hook up...I may be old, but I'm not dead...he was yummy!

Anonymous said...

Ervie, c'est moi!
I don't get this hideous fascination of these vampires. I prefer to read trashy novels and watch wholesome shows like Glee....LOL

SongbirdMama said...

ooo -- I love Glee. Such a great show!!!

Mark and Emily said...

Ya, I agree. I was laughing the other day cause my friend was trying to convince me to watch the new Vampires show on thursdays and I was thinking of your post! Major overkill, although next month me, Angela and Karrie are going to be staying on the Olympic Peninsula and will be visiting Forks (Twilight)....so maybe I am one of those!

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...