Saturday, February 20, 2016

Life Lessons for my Children

Every parent, regardless of their status, standing, or lot in life, hope to instill some basic truths to their children.  Here are some things I hope my boys have and will learn from me:

* Accept others regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion, financial background,etc.....  Show kindness and respect everyone from the janitor to the CEO.


*  Accept yourself and be proud of your accomplishments and who you are.  Don't worry about what other people think about you.


*  Do your best to be financially independent.  Do not share your financial situation with anyone (except your partner).  Always have cash in the house somewhere, and don't ever expect someone else to support you.




*  Always practice good manners.  My grandmother instilled this one in me from an early age.  She would always say,"Good manners and a clean set of clothes will take you a long way".


*  Choose your friends wisely.  I had a bad habit of being too trusting too soon when I was younger.  I'd pick a best friend or 3 and tell them my whole life story and all my secrets without a second thought.  I learned after being stabbed in the back a few times that it's better to have 4 quarters than 100 pennies any day.  


*  It's okay NOT to be perfect.  No one expects perfection.  Just do your best and learn from your mistakes.  If you don't learn from it, you're doomed to repeat it.  


*  Go in to work early.  Stay late and work hard to get the job done.  No one likes a slacker.


*  And of course.....




  


  


No comments:

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...