Sunday, October 5, 2008

I'm Lovin' It


Ahhh yes, fast food. McDonald's, Burger King, etc. Otherwise known as the downfall of civilization. But, it is so damn easy! Why? Why must you call to me chicken nuggets? Why must you read my mind the way that you do? Just as I am thinking that it is too damn hot to go home and make lunch, you are there, up high on a shiny billboard. Your icy cold beverage and just salty and grease laden enough fries beckoning me from the heavens it would seem.


And I don't even usually eat the stuff. Though I must say that I love the southwest chicken salad. But it isn't the food that makes me do it- usually. Usually it is the convenience. Bad mom. Bad, bad mom.So, the yesterday I did the deed yet again. I stopped for a quick lunch for the kids at the drive thru. Let me just say as an aside here that if a healthy food place with a drive thru would pop up in our area, I would be doubly inclined to spend my "fast food" dollars there as opposed to the more unhealthy spots.


Anyway, back to the drive thru. Or as I like to call it 'the prelude to the cardiologist.' I ordered the food and proceeded to the window. Or as I like to call it 'the gateway to hell.' When I checked my bag I was a little surprised at what I saw. McDonald's. I realize that isn't really a sentence, but I want to illustrate the power of McDonald's. It has the ability to stand on it's own. It is the Madonna or the Cher or the Bono of the fast food world. It is immediately recognizable by it's simple one word brand name. There are McDonald's in every possible corner of the earth. Everyone recognizes the golden arches. You could be walking through the depths of Siberia for 3 days, cold and alone and looking for civilization, when all of a sudden you see a golden arches appear before you. That is how popular and huge and corporate McDonald's is.


So imagine my surprise when I opened up my bag to find a big old hunkin' wad of paper towels jammed on top of my food. Was someone in the middle of windexing the drive thru window, got distracted and accidentally shoved this pile of Bounty into my food bag? No. McDonald's had run out of napkins. Yes, napkins. The largest fast food restaurant on earth... has no napkins. I can't tell you how amusing and yet disturbing I found this all at once. I mean it's not as if I was at Jeb's roadside burger joint. "Oh sorry y'all, Betty Sue forgot to go to the market for more napkins. Here's some paper towels instead." This is McDonald's. Don't they have an entire department whose job it is to make sure they don't run out of stuff like, oh say, napkins!?


I realize that this is a rant. I realize that this post may be a little more 'off the cuff' than what I usually blog about. But I usually think of a topic and then prepare a post about it. This is just something totally random that happened and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Is it just me? Does anyone else think that this is odd?


I am waiting for some McDonald's person to contact me now for one of two reasons- either to yell at me for indirectly implying that McDonald's consumption leads to heart problems; or to apologize for the lack of napkins and offer me free food. (Which McDonald's reps- I am not above taking)


So McDonald's, it's okay. I forgive you. We're all cool again. I still think that your food is probably a bad idea for my heart, not to mention my ass. But, it is the yummiest and most convenient bad idea I've seen. Plus, my kids love it. Send coupons.


Oh, the original point here? It was to find out not only if anyone thought it was odd that I got a wad of paper towels in my food bag; but to get others to confess to their own fast food weaknesses. You all know that my ulterior motive with every post is to get you all to confess right there with me. French fry fanatic? Burger lovin' blogger? Secret shake indulger? Come on, spill it!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Mmmmmm...McDonald's.....

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...