Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Idol Chatter (Auditions in Kansas City)


Well......thank God Kansas City had more talent then Phoenix. I actually feel like I have something worth writing about tonight. And while, I wasn't as blown away by some of the contestants as the judges seemed to be, there were some amazing singers.

However, the show definately did NOT start on a high note for me. Little miss Varsity Choir girl almost made me want to change the channel. Simon got it bang on when he said her warbling sounded like cats being tossed off a roof. Thank goodness the second girl had a nice voice and I decided not to switch over to reruns of "Reba".

And what was up with classically trained Opera guy. His audition was just weird. I didn't care for it at all. But now dude in the fedora who sang "Over the Rainbow" -- I really liked it. I wasn't sure I was going to at first, but the kid has amazing range.....and guts.

And Jason Castro's little brother. I gotta admit I wasn't expecting much out of this kid. It's no secret that I was NOT a fan of his brother last season. But, I must say I was pleasantly suprised. The boy can sing. It will be interesting to see if he goes as far as Jason did.

Let's see....who else?? Oh welder dad. He was just meh, okay, for me. I didn't think he deserved a ticket to Hollywood, but we'll have to see what Hell week brings out of him.

And what was the deal with Rainbow Brite hair. I mean, ouch.....she was horrid.....and her facial expressions were really, really creepy.

"Oz" girl who sang Janis Joplin was awesome; loved her voice. I liked the little black sister....and I think her big sister knew that she wasnt as good. And I really didn't care for "California Dreamin'' guy. He reminded me of a wannabe Broadway act or something. Anyway.....it was a bit much.

Just like last night, there was a story that tugged at the heart strings. And just like last night, the singer had some talent. My heart broke for this young guy who had lost his wife. But, I think he has the ability to go really far in the competition.

And then there was NoopDawg. I must admit that I had the same feeling as Simon about this kid. He looked like a computer nerd who probably had no real singing talent. Man, was I ever shocked to hear such a soulful sound come out of him. One of my favorites of the night for sure.

Andrew (the dude with the cheerleaders); singers like him annoy me. They have okay talent, but they try to show off and do way too many runs. He was just so over the top for me.

Band teacher guy was my other favorite of the night. I thought he was great. But the Dennis guy was another one that I figured really didnt' deserve a golden ticket to Hollywood. But thankfully the night did end on a high note. Lil was fantastic. The girl has some great pipes.

So there's my thoughts tonight. I know it's a little long....but like I said, there was some real talent in OKC. Let me know your thoughts. Do you agree with me or disagree? Who did you like? Who made you cringe? And I'll be back with more Idol Chatter next week.

No comments:

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...