Thursday, January 22, 2009

Idol Chatter (Auditions in Louisville)

OK, since I didn't post anything after last night show, I am going to have to forgo this weeks Thursday Thirteen in order to give you my recap and thoughs from AI in Louiville.



I sometimes have to shake my head in wonder at the producers of the show. Why is it that they always start the night with an absolutely horrid singer? Not exactly a way to endear viewers in my opinion. I mean seriously, did that girl who sang Mariah Carey's "Hero" really think she was as good as she and her mother said? Seriously? I guess she has a voice only a mother could love because I found the entire thing a train wreck.



I did see some promise in the next girl, Joanna, however. She's the one who sang "We Belong" by Pat Benetar. I mean we all know that she's tried to make a career of music for a while and hasn't had much luck. But I'm telling you, that girl could be a powerhouse with a bit more confidence in herself.



The cowboy,Mark Mudd......oy! Voices like that really make me HATE country music. But I think the judges read way to much into his "threat". Seriously, I hear people say "be careful" as their parting words ALL THE TIME! Maybe it's a "Southern" thing.



Brent, the guy who sang "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love".....meh......I really didn't care for it. It really wasn't that great for me. And the dueling piano guy (darn....can't remember his name right now), he had a pretty good voice.....but there was just a bit too much vibrato for me. Vibrato when singing should be used really sparingly. I wish more singers would realize that.



Then there was Ross (the nerd guy). I really hoped that this guy was a rockstar in dork clothing. You know kind of like Enook was (Go Noop Dawg). But alas, he was awful and his entire audition was excruciating.



Alexis, the girl who sang "Dr. Feelgood", was not bad. She was a bit shouty and I reserve my opinion on her vocal ability until I see her sing something in a softer, ballad style.



Aaron, the black guy with the big voice. WOW!! Seriously, the guy shouted through his entire audition, which I thought was unfortunate, because if you listen past the screaming, he does have a pretty decent voice.



And finally, Laniesha.....she was pretty good. Her vocals were good, but her attitude scares me. She seems like she could have a SERIOUS diva complex.



So, all in all, I would have to say that Joanna was my favorite of the night, but for the most part I thought the talent was pretty sucky in Kentucky.

1 comment:

The Samples Sampler said...

I agree with you about the Mudd guy's "threat". It's just FOX trying to get more drama out of the show. Be careful sounds like something people would say in parting. Almost like "Take care". To be honest, no one really struck me as amazing last night. Sure there were good singers, but I would be surprised if anyone from the KY auditions makes it to the top 12. BTW I love reading your blogs about AI. I actually pay more attention to the show so I can comment on your blog! I will be travelling next week for both nights of AI so I am counting on you to let me know what happens...no pressure or anything!

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...