Now, my actual reason for posting tonight.
As I was cleaning up a box of assorted things from years past, I came across a card that a friend had given to us when we were pregnant with Drew, thirteen years ago! (wow, where has the time gone?)
Anyway, seeing this card again made me laugh. It's for the parents-to-be and listed the Top Ten Best Things About Parenthood. I thought I'd share them with you and we'll see how many of these things are actually the truth!
Here we go:
10. You get to use phrases like "When I was your age..."
(Sadly, I've used this phrase more times than I can count in the past year. Does that mean I've turned into my parents?)
9. It's more fun to name a human being than, say, a puppy.
(Really? I mean, I was a little disappointed I couldn't name my kids Rover, Bowser and Brutus.)
8. Two words: Teddy bears.
(This is a good thing? Stuffies overflowing from every nook and cranny, much like those crazy Tribbles from Star Trek...dammit, Jim, I'm a parent, not Christopher Robin!)
7. You'll get to attend those wild PTA meetings.
(It's taken every effort to restrain myself from attending these desirable parties.)
6. You can finally put to use all those parenting lessons you've learned from watching years of TV sitcoms.
(No matter how hard I try, I will never have the patience and calm of the Huxtables or the Keatons. Am I dating myself with those references?)
5. It gives you an excuse to buy that minivan you've always wanted.
(This is where I laugh, having (pre-children) said many a time that I would never, ever own a minivan. In fact, I even said it after the first child. Now that I'm older, and more weary, I can confess: I like owning a minivan. ::shudder::)
4. It increases your appreciation of a good night's sleep.
(Ain't that the truth!)
3. Maybe your child will eventually become fabulously wealthy and buy you a new home.
(I guess there's always hope.)
2. Two more words: tax deduction.
(I've yet to see this one really work in our favour. I must call a meeting with Stephen Harper to discuss...
1. And, the number one best thing about parenthood is...You're both such high-quality human beings, you owe it to society.
I'm wondering if that friend regrets sending that card now that she's seen what we've produced! Gah! ;) I'll wrap up tonight by sharing with you my own three best things about parenthood: