Saturday, March 28, 2009

Some TLC shows just aren't worth anyones time

I was going to publish a rather whiny post about my frustrations with my kids and my own failings as a mother…but then I remembered that I watched John and Kate Plus Eight last night, and it’s much more fun and entertaining to pick apart someone else’s parenting. (Can I get an AMEN?)

I haven’t watched the show in quite awhile because 1.) it’s really boring, and 2.) Kate makes me go mental. But, last night was a RERUN of when they moved into a brand new (hugely expensive) house….and after flipping through the channels 10 times, I gave up and watched it. Their new house is…amazing. It’s huge, it’s beautiful, and Kate couldn’t believe how DIRTY it was. (The “dirt” consisted of some dust bunnies in the pantry. GOD FORBID! ) The rest of the family took off while Kate snapped on her yellow plastic gloves and started cleaning in a manic OCD fit. She spent 4 hours cleaning the fridge—with a toothpick. (Aaannndd…that’s when I spit my bowl of popcorn across the room while laughing hysterically.)

Seriously? 4 hours to clean a fridge? Mine gets wiped out once every 3 months with a few Clorox Wipes—and if there’s too much crap on the shelf I just wipe off the edge. Also? I don’t even think I own toothpicks. Moving on…

Kate has some odd rules for the new house. Like this little gem: “No child shall ever set foot in Mommy’s bedroom. EVER AGAIN.” Are you Serious!? She stood in the middle of her new bedroom and shrieked, “See this room? You’re never. To. Come. In. here. Again. Understand?” So Saturday morning snuggles are a big No-No? Nightmares never happen? Unless she’s installing permanent S&M equipment, what is the big deal? (Wait….has Kate been reading Self?)
Ah, it makes me laugh. Then…it just makes me sad. She is staring to make "Octomom" look like Mother Teresa.

Anyone else watch this train wreck of a show?

3 comments:

The Samples Sampler said...

Laughing out loud right now at your post. My husband is giving me funny looks! I have watched this show for a total of 7 minutes. I couldn't stand how Kate talked to her husband, so I turned it off. I am sad that the episode I watched wasn't the one you described...

SongbirdMama said...

Michelle, I'm sure you could google it. I swear, how this woman is the mother of 8 with the attitude she has is beyond me. She treats her hubby like a doormat, and is such a shrew of a mother. Tell you're hubby to start reading my blog. Then he could laugh too and not just think you're a nutjob. (Shameless plug to get another reader...I'm so bad)

Mark and Emily said...

I never used to think she was that bad until this season. And you are the second friend of mine to complain about how she treats her husband. I don't know what it's like to be in her shoes but I do think she's definitely ocd. I don't think I will watch next season!

Believe in Yourself

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel like no matter what you did, you were not going to make it out? Or maybe had that one d...